Thursday, January 13, 2011

I told you so

So I am sitting at the camp again today about to end my journey of retail and get into all kinds of other projects.  I realized that I haven't written in my blog for a little while and definitely not in 2011.  So I'd like to first and foremost say a very happy new year to all that read this and I hope that 2011 brings you health wealth and happiness.

I also just finished my 3 month clinical rotation in the emergency room at Riverside Community Hospital.  I started 100s of IV's, 100s of EKGs, saw many of open body surgeries (as oppose to closed body surgeries which doesn't make much since does it), saw a lot of people live and a lot of people die.  But there is one thing that I saw the most of and that was sick people!  And that is what made me think to write in my blog again.

Its not a shock to me that most of the people that I ran into in the ER were from the looks of things, unhealthy (being very over weight), dirty clothes, and just stereotypical less fortunate than others.  But that leads me to my question do you think there's a relation?  After spending 3 months there I think there is a relation,  with the way you look and your health.  I saw it first hand.  No I'm not prejudice or saying that some people are better than other but just telling you what I saw first hand.

As the paramedics would being their runs into the ER, I would say to myself, "oh shocker, another over weight dirty, smelly, person in the ambulance."  Not that I treated them with any less compassion because I didn't.  If I treated anyone different than others then I wouldn't be getting into the field that I'm in.  Although its hard to treat a rapist, drug addict, wife beater, etc with the same level of care as grandma.  But I try.

Anyways, I wonder if these unhealthy looking people spent a little more time each day on themselves would they be unhealthy.  Now of course accidents happen, car accidents, motorcycles, etc and I saw those people also.  but for the most part I saw sick unhealthy people.  And not really anything else.

Diabetics, heart problems, lung cancer, esophageal varices, throat cancer, you name it and I've seen it.  But what if that person stopped smoking?  Would they have gotten lung cancer?  Well their chances would sure be better.  Also what a shocker that man with lung cancer also had dirty clothes on.  Doing quick math in my head, 1 pack of cigs a day = $150 a month = $1800 per year.  $1800 a year that he/she could have bought nicer clothes with, then maybe even got a better job because first impressions are everything, then might not be in the hospital with lung cancer.  See how this works??  Shocking isn't it.

That diabetic (type 2 not type 1) that spends 1000's of dollars getting as big as some of them are.  You think its cheap to weight over 300 lbs?  Crap I just spend $5 on a bag of chips and a sandwich.  Imagine that times a bunch.  If that person just spent a little time on him or herself, would he/she have diabetes? Would he or she have a better job because again in this beautiful country we live in your image means a lot.  And again would I be seeing him or her in the hospital that day?

As I ask myself these questions I began to see a trend.  For the most part I would have to believe that your health and appearance directly has something to do with how you take care of yourself and your image.

I also noticed a trend that the 300 lbs diabetic patient, and the lung cancer patient all had similar things in common, they've all had something that caused them to be where they are.  And instead of taking responsibility for them selves they most made excuses as to how they got where they were.  I guess it takes a strong person to take charge of your life.  Although I think that's bullshit and its NEVER too late.  Until of course your telling me your story and you're about to die.  Then its too late.

Soooo I want to encourage everyone that reads this today to try and do something for yourself.  Take charge of your life.  Maybe stop smoking if you do, maybe stop drinking so much if you do, maybe stop eating so much if you do.  And take a step in the right direction.

Because trust me, good things will follow you.  Stop smoking, get those nicer clothes, work on your resume, get that better job, and hell save a shit ton of money in medical bills that you NO MATTER WHAT will be paying for one day.  Go hit the gym and work on loosing that weight you always wanted to.  Spend $30 a month at 24 hr fitness, and save thousands of dollars in medical bills on day. 

Take charge, feel good about yourself, get healthy, and all good things will follow.  Happiness, wealth and maybe just maybe all the things you've dreamed of will come true.  Or keep doing what you're doing and I'll be seeing you in the back on my  ambulance one day, i won't tell you but I definitely will be thinking "I told you so."

This was not intended for anyone nor am I thinking about anyone in my life while I write this but if you feel like i'm talking to you.  Run with it, get motivated.

Much love

Matt

1 comment:

  1. Well put!! I struggle with teaching people that concept every single day. That stress on the nervous system can decrease the energy/communication to certain organs, like the heart; lungs; muscles; brain; etc.!! Stress that's caused by eating junk, smoking, poor posture, etc. So imagine how many less people you would see in the ER if their bodies functioned at a higher level after getting adjusted and relieving all that physical stress on the nervous system!! If they don't believe it, try it and see. Haha that was my shameless lil self promotion. Great post though!!

    ReplyDelete